2009 Honors College Awards Ceremony
The Honors College gathered recently to recognize the outstanding achievements of its students at the annual Awards and Recognition Ceremony at the Lod Cook Alumni Center.
Recognition included those students who achieved Sophomore Honors Distinction for the 2008-2009 Academic Year, and those students receiving various scholarships and fellowships, as well as recent awards and distinctions.
Students who received major awards:
- Micaela DeGruy received the Harry S. Truman Scholarship, with Amanda Morlas and James Stowe recognized as finalists.
- Brandon Boyd and James Hostetter both received honorable mention for the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship.
- Emily Plauché received the Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship.
- Justin Piche and Laura Baker received the John Hardy Blue Scholarship.
- Claire Biggs (Freshman), Stewart Humble (Freshman), Anna Normand (Sophomore), Lauren Fogarty (Junior), Sarah Burns (Junior), Yunan Yuan (Senior), and Michael Rhea (Senior) were recognized as the 2009 Honors College Outstanding Students.
- Lauren Fogarty and Jennifer Kornuta received the Honors College Service Award.
- John Milligan and Meghan Spell were recognized for their acceptance into the Law School Early Admission Program (LEAP).
- Julianne Dunlap and Mary Parish were recognized for their acceptance into the SECAC Global Leadership Program for Spring 2009 and Spring 2010, respectively.
- Colette Burke, Julianne Dunlap, Lacy Hebert and Aubrey Thibuat received the Starmount Life Insurance Study Abroad Scholarship.
- Carly Burt, Katie Hamel, Chelsea Lewis, Shawn Lin, Margaret Looney, Madeline Peters, Wedad Rahman, Michael Richard, Katherine Smith and Katelyn Wannage received the TAF Thesis Research Scholarship.
Building on a tradition of quality education, excellence, and public engagement that challenges conventional thinking, the Louisiana State University Honors College develops top scholars equipped to emerge as community leaders. Students are encouraged to engage in rigorous academic and interdisciplinary studies, apply their knowledge in the community, and conduct innovative research. The awards ceremony annually honors those students who have excelled academically and in the community.