Ogden Honors College Graduates 97 Students
The Ogden Honors College graduated 97 students at its commencement exercises on Thursday, May 12. Forty-nine students were awarded College Honors, one of LSU’s highest graduation distinctions. Executive Vice President and Provost Richard Koubek delivered remarks.
Ogden Honors College students were recognized with a variety of distinctions and awards. Nine Ogden Honors students received the University Medal, given to LSU students graduating with the highest grade point averages. Twenty-four students graduated summa cum laude; 22 students graduated magna cum laude, and 10 students graduated cum laude. Sixty-eight students completed an Honors Thesis.
Six students were recognized with the Honors College Outstanding Thesis Award:
- Jared Mark Able, “Resonance Varieties of Pure Braid-Like Groups”
- Katherine RuthAnn Campbell, “How Various Sources of Content on Social Networking Sites Affect Millenials’ Attitudes Toward a Brand”
- Nicholas Piedra de Godoy Lopes, “Visual Synecdoche: A Typology and Analysis of Pattern Books, 1830-1930”
- Richard Guidry, “The Effect of Dietary Salt Intake on the Subcellular Disribution of Epithelial Na+ Channels in Vasopressin and Oxtytocin Synthesizing Neurons in the Rat Hypothalmus”
- Katie JoAnna Hogan, “Aconitic Acid, Glycerol and Cinnamic Acid Polyester Characterization for Bone Tissue Engineering”
- Katelyn Marie McCoy, “The Effect of Emotional Words and Sounds in Multidimensional Source Memory”
Two students received the Leo & Insa Abraham Outstanding Honors Senior Award:
- Kurt Ristroph, a recipient of the 2014 Roger Hadfield Ogden Leaders Award and Chancellor’s Alumni Scholarship, graduated magna cum laude in chemical engineering and liberal arts with a concentration in classical studies. Throughout his undergraduate career, Kurt has worked with the ADVANCE Program for Young Scholars, serving as a Teaching Assistant in courses on Mythologies and Shakespeare. He has been selected as national President for the National Senior Classical League, an Honors College Advocate and welcome leader, and a two-term President of the Honors College Student Council. Kurt served as a student research assistant with Dr. Cristina Sabliov, and his honors thesis investigates the movement of nanopesticides on the leaves and roots of soybean plants to model their distribution within the plant in time. For this work, Kurt received a National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship; he plans to study nanomaterial drug delivery and novel methods for combatting antibiotic resistance in Princeton University’s PhD program in Chemical and Biological Engineering this fall.
- Chauncey Stephens will graduate in December with a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Grades Education. She has served as Student Director of Volunteer LSU, a Louisiana Service and Leadership (LASAL) Scholar, a Resident Assistant in the Laville Honors House, and a Chair and Team Leader for CHANGE Brake, a service organization centered around yearly trips to South America. Throughout her undergraduate career, Chauncey has led and organized numerous volunteer efforts in Baton Rouge, including serving as the Leadership Chair for Community Bound, Regional Coordinator for Geaux Big Baton Rouge, an Intern with the Ascension Parish School Board, and as a Youth Volunteer Corps Team Leader with the Capital Area United Way. This spring, Chauncey was awarded a prestigious Truman Scholarship for her role as a “change agent” in her community, making her LSU’s 11th Truman Scholar. She is also a member of LSU’s Tiger 12. After graduation, Chauncey plans to serve in AmeriCorps VISTA for a year before applying to graduate school, where she will pursue a dual master’s degree in social work and education.
A large number of Ogden Honors graduating seniors plan to pursue advanced degrees in prestigious programs at Princeton University, University of Virginia Law School, Baylor Law School, Indiana University, University of Texas, University of Houston, University of Georgia, George Mason University, Michigan State University, and several graduates will continue at LSU, at the LSU Health Sciences Centers and at the Hebert Law Center.
A complete list of graduates is organized by academic distinction and hometown below:
Graduating with College Honors (includes Upper Division Honors Distinction and defended thesis):
- Laura Arlene Gauggel, BA English; BA International Studies, University Medalist, summa cum laude
- Matthew J. DePaula, BM Music, summa cum laude
- Colin Carley Dailey, BA Political Science, magna cum laude
Baton Rouge, La.
- Nicholas Piedra de Godoy Lopes, BA Liberal Arts, summa cum laude
- Mark Feuer Ditusa, BS Physics; BS Chemistry, summa cum laude
- Christopher Robert Handy, BAMC Mass Communication
- Courtney Taylor Howell, BA Liberal Arts
- Gerald Laurence Knapp, BSME Mechanical Engineering
- Lindsey Nicole Miller, BAMC Mass Communication
- Steven Alexander Olsen, BS Mathematics; BA French Studies
- Haley Marie Paulish, BA Sociology, magna cum laude
- Marlee Amanda Pittman, BA Political Science, cum laude
- Kurt David Ristroph, BSCHE Chemical Engineering; BA Liberal Arts, magna cum laude
- Joshua Ryan Saltz, BSCHE Chemical Engineering
Bossier City, La.
- John Garrett Clawson, BA Political Science; BA Sociology, University Medalist, summa cum laude
- Katie JoAnna Hogan, BSBE Biological Engineering, summa cum laude
Denham Spring, La.
- Chase Gregory Lindsey, BA Economics and Political Science, University Medalist, summa cum laude
- Philip Andrew McLean, BA Philosophy and Liberal Arts, University Medalist, summa cum laude
- Jared Mark Able, BS Mathematics; BA Philosophy, summa cum laude
- Kylie Shae Hebert Keyser, BAMC Mass Communication; BA Economics
- Andrew Paul Mullet, BS Biochemistry; BA Spanish, magna cum laude
Fort Worth, Texas
- Marylynn Beatrice Smitherman, BA Psychology and Philosophy, magna cum laude
- David Alan Fertitta, BSCES Coastal Environmental Science
- Mallory Alicia Garcia, BS Animal, Dairy and Poultry Sciences, magna cum laude
- Karyn Alexandra Warner, BS Psychology, cum laude
- Kaylyn Elizabeth Blosser, BAMC Mass Communication, cum laude
- Andrew Paul Olivier, BS Physics, summa cum laude
- Christopher Taylor McVicker, BS Biological Sciences, summa cum laude
- Rory Tolbert Boothe, BA English, summa cum laude
- Amanda Danielle Mayhall, BS Mathematics, summa cum laude
- William L. Melancon, BFA Studio Art, summa cum laude
- Molly Marie Smoak, BSBE Biological Engineering, summa cum laude
Lake Charles, La.
- Katelyn Marie McCoy, BA Psychology, summa cum laude
- Thomas Oliver Beckstrom, BS Biochemistry, University Medalist, summa cum laude
- Jennifer An Kenyon, BSGeol Geology, magna cum laude
- Erin Elizabeth Fell, BA French Studies, University Medalist, summa cum laude
- Collette Maria Tilly, BS Kinesiology, magna cum laude
- Jacob Robert Heflin, BA English: Creative Writing and English: Literature, cum laude
- Nicholas James Klinka, BS Mathematics, summa cum laude
- Jon Hunter Strohmeyer, BS Biological Sciences, magna cum laude
New Iberia, La.
- JoLena Ann Broussard, BAMC Mass Communication, University Medalist, summa cum laude
New Orleans, La.
- Adam Michael Beyer, BA Political Science
- Lindsey Paige Spillman, BAMC Mass Communication
- Echo Alessandra Matthews, BS Mathematics; BA Liberal Arts
- Saige Brianne Parker, BS Psychology; BA Sociology
- Mary Katherine Schober, BM Music, summa cum laude
- Kathryn Marie Carr, BSME Mechanical Engineering, cum laude
- Lillian Rose Miller, BS Natural Resource Ecology and Management, magna cum laude
- Catherine Claire Briley, BA History; BA Liberal Arts, cum laude
Graduating with Upper Division Honors Distinction (includes defended thesis):
- Jalea Elise Ruth Jackson, BA Theatre, cum laude
- Carly Ann Thaxton, BS Nutrition and Food Sciences, cum laude
- Laura Isabel Siqueiros, BS Psychology, magna cum laude
- Valencia Vashea Richardson, BAMC Mass Communication, magna cum laude
- Kayli Michelle Alphonso, BS Psychology, magna cum laude
Graduating with Thesis Honors
Abita Springs, La.
- Jordan Christian Ball, BS Physics; BA Philosophy
Baton Rouge, La.
- Zachary Steven Miller, BA International Studies
- Drake Vincent Leonard, BS Biological Sciences
- Kelli Amara Clemons, BS Biological Sciences
- Eric J. Toups, BA History
Lithia Springs, Ga.
- Kristin Nicole White, BAMC Mass Communication
- Taylor Angela Amedee, BS Kinesiology, magna cum laude
- Jenna Lynn Zeringue, BS Psychology
- Mary Scott Wofford, BA Political Science
- Madison Taylor Boudreaux, BS Biological Sciences
- Jacob Lawrence Mendoza, BA Anthropology
- Kirstie Rae Schieffler, BS Biological Sciences
- Katherine RuthAnn Campbell, BAMC Mass Communication
- Ellen Elizabeth Foster, BS Biological Sciences, magna cum laude
- Seleipiri Charles, BSChE Chemical Engineering, magna cum laude
West Monroe, La.
- Sneha N. Seetharama, BSChE Chemcial Engineering
- Taylor Marie Reeves, BSPETE Petroleum Engineering
Graduating as members in good standing of the Ogden Honors College:
Baton Rouge, La.
- Kareem Awad, BIS Interdisciplinary Studies
- Nathan Ross Babb, BA Economics
- Jesse T. Clifton, BS Mathematics, summa cum laude
- Asenath Leah Francis, BS Chemistry
Belle Chasse, La.
- Taylor A. Robertson, BS Finance, magna cum laude
- Emily J. Gibson, BS Natural Resource Ecology and Managment
- Kevin Patrick Whittaker, BSChE Chemical Engineering; BA French Studies, summa cum laude
- Devin Cole Vallier, BA Political Science
- Atianna J. Cordova, BArch Architecture
- Janelle Marie Whelen, BSBE Biological Engineering
- Rebecca Anne Matthews, BA Liberal Arts; BA French Studies
Lake Charles, La.
- Calley Alyse Conner, BS Marketing, cum laude
La Place, La.
- Sarah Grace Broekhoven, BS Nutrition and Food Sciences
- Jessica Lauren Pyles, BSME Mechanical Engineering
- Caitlin Elizabeth Mitchell, BS Biochemistry, cum laude
- John Michael Domingo III, BSPETE Petroleum Engineering, magna cum laude
- Madeline Elizabeth Engler, BAMC Mass Communication, summa cum laude
- Ryan Patrick O’Leary, BS Biological Sciences
New Orleans, La.
- Oanh Q. Do, BAMC Mass Communications, summa cum laude
- Colleen Morris Murphy, BS Microbiology
- Lexie Lynne Breaux, BSChE Chemical Engineering
Saint Francisville, La.
- Heather Marie Buzbee, BA English, summa cum laude
- Hannah Greer Barkley, BS Biological Sciences
- Maggie Michelle Durci, BS Biological Sciences, magna cum laude
- Zackari Donell Murphy, BS Psychology
- Devin Angelique Williams, BA Theatre Performance and Physical Theatre