An Honors Path
The Ogden Honors College staffs a team of professional advisers who assist students in planning all aspects of their four years at LSU — and their goals beyond graduation. Our advisers help each Honors student design a customized path through the University that is tailored to his or her major and personal aspirations. That path should include an outline for the student's course of study, as well as plans to participate in community service, study abroad, internships, research, and to complete an Honors Thesis.
The goal of our intensive advising is to ensure that Honors students fully utilize LSU's vast array of resources in order to get the most out of their four years at a flagship university and become well-equipped for success after graduation.
Advisers cater to the needs of high-achieving students using an integrated approach that includes overall planning and support for specialized activities:
- comprehensive academic planning (choosing major area(s) of study; course selection; meeting requirements);
- undergraduate research and completing the Honors Thesis;
- participation in community service, study abroad, and internships;
- career development such as job search support, resume review, practice interviews; and
- the pursuit of prestigious fellowships and scholarships.
In order to remain in good standing with the Ogden Honors College, students should meet with an Honors adviser for at least one advising session per year according to the following schedule. (Students may schedule additional advising session at any time.)
- first-year students: Fall (at any time of the semester)
- second-year students: Spring (at any time of the semester)
- third-year students: Spring (at any time of the semester)
- fourth- and fifth-year students: Fall (at any time of the semester)
An advising session typically consists of a discussion of the student's future plans in relation to the Honors curriculum, to his or her major degree programs' curriculum, and how relevant University resources might be utilized.
Advising Appointment Scheduling
Students can schedule a meeting with an Honors adviser using our online appointment request form. When completing the form, make sure to list any particular topics you'd like to discuss and/or note if there is a particular adviser with whom you'd like to meet. Students should remember that appointments are not necessary for quick questions; Honors advisers strive to be available to answer such questions via e-mail, phone, or in person.