Basic guidelines for planning your Honors Thesis project
- By the last day of class in the semester before you plan to enroll in thesis coursework, secure commitment from a professor to serve as your thesis director.
- Enroll in the first semester thesis course and inform the Upper Division adviser of your enrollment. See our Thesis Courses page for an explanation of which course in which to enroll.
- Begin the semester by submitting an Honors Thesis proposal or abstract, including preliminary sources, to your thesis director.
- With your thesis director, set deadlines and decide what work will be due at the end of this semester. Note that the first semester is not a semester of only gathering information-- you should be at least beginning to write your thesis as well. Plan toward the goal of completing a final draft of your thesis by midterm of your second semester of thesis enrollment. To do so generally requires significant progress in writing the first semester.
- Begin putting together your defense committee with your Thesis Director.
- Coordination with the Ogden Honors College is especially important at this time. Scheduling difficulties abound between allowing committee members reading time, possible corrections following the defense, printing issues, etc.
- By the last day to drop classes without receiving a grade of W, report your two additional defense committee members to the Honors Upper Division Adviser.
- By the midterm exam period, submit a final draft of the complete thesis to your thesis director and schedule your oral defense or project presentation.
- Once the details are finalized, submit your defense date, time, and location to the Honors Upper Division Adviser.
- By May 1 in the Spring semester or the last day of classes in Fall or Summer, your thesis director must submit a report of your successful thesis defense to the Honors College with the Thesis Approval Report Form, and you must submit a copy of the final (corrected) and bound thesis and a .pdf copy to the Ogden Honors College.
Thesis Thesis Timeline Thesis Colloquium